Physical indicators of Abuse
- Bruises, welts, lacerations, punctures, fractures, or burns. Look for indicators at different stages of healing an in suspicious locations.
- Signs of hair pulling
- Unexplained sexually transmitted diseases or other unexplained infections
- Signs of physical confinement
- Malnutrition, and/or dehydration
- Hyperthemia or hypothermia
- Inappropriate administration of medications
- Decubitus ulcer (pressure sores)
Many time injuries are hidden on areas of the body, which are normal covered by clothing, frequent use of different hospital emergency rooms for health care may indicate abuse or neglect. The lack of necessary appliances, such as canes, walkers or medical supplies may also indicate mistreatment.
Psychological Indicators of Abuse:
- Changes in Appetite
- Excessive Fears
- Low self-acceptance
The indicators of psychological abuse may also be associated with any type of abuse. If you suspect elder abuse call the Columbia-Montour Aging Office, Inc at 800.598.5001.