Philosophy & Goals
Columbia/Montour Aging Office, Inc. (CMAOI), a private/non-profit agency, serves two rural counties with a 60-and-over population exceeding 16,000. The Agency formally known as Columbia/Montour Area Agency on Aging was established in 1975 under the authority of the Older Americans Act. At that time, the Agency was governed by both Columbia and Montour County Commissioners.
In 2005, the Agency became a non-profit 501(c)3 and changed its name to Columbia/Montour Aging Office, Inc. It is governed by a 9 member Board of Directors. All citizens age 60 and over are eligible to receive services provided by the CMAOI, although some programs are restricted.
Funding is provided by the county, state and federal governments, and from community and consumer contributions. Contributions are accepted at any time. Fees may be required for some services.
We have two primary goals:
- To provide services that will enable older adults to maintain a relatively independent lifestyle in both home and community, rather than becoming dependent upon institutional care.
- To advocate for older adults and their needs.
We provide services to 2,800 citizens over 60 years of age who reside in Columbia or Montour counties, regardless of race, sex, color, creed or national origin.
Reasons To Work for Our Agency
- The ability to brainstorm with your fellow coworkers thus enabling your ideas to become part of a successful solution.
- Internal promotion prospects rate high.
- Knowing that your job contributes to helping our area’s older adults to stay in our community.
- There is a good balance between the stress of the job and the rewards of the job.
- The non-financial benefits are great: paid holidays, vacation, personal days, sick days, great retirement plan, health insurance, etc.
- Group participation with co-workers at events, such as Relay for life, Alzheimer’s Walk. Also rewarding and a lot of fun is participating in our fundraising efforts like our annual Chickin’ Pickin’.
- Dedicated Board of Directors and Community Advisory Council
- Serving as a one-stop shop for community resources for older adult consumers and their families.
- Your fellow employees become more like family and are the greatest bunch you will ever work with.