This program offers the older adult an opportunity to remain in their home, in lieu of nursing home care. To qualify, the older adult must be 60 years of age or older, a resident of Columbia or Montour county, and must meet both medical and financial eligibility. Medically the older adult must require the level of care that a nursing facility would provide. Financial determination is made through the local county assistance office.
The staff at Columbia-Montour Aging Office, Inc. seeks to develop and implement creative alternatives to placing Medicaid-eligible individuals in medical facilities such as nursing homes and Community Residential Facilities (CRF).
We recognize that many individuals who are at risk of being placed in a medical facility can be cared for in their natural homes and communities through the use of home and community-based waiver programs.
These programs preserve an individual’s independence and their ties to families and friends at a cost no higher than that of institutional care.
Section 1915 (C) of the Social Security Act, lists services which may be provided in home and by community-based service waiver programs. Other services, requested by the State because they are needed by waiver participants to avoid being placed in a medical facility or institution, may also be provided subject to approval by Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
The Act requires States to provide services on an equal basis to all persons who are eligible for the services and meet the established criteria as set forth by the State.
Aging Waiver Program
The Pennsylvania Department of Aging (PDA) oversees the administration of the Aging Waiver Program by the Union-Snyder Agency on Aging, Aging and Home and Community-Based Waiver Services may be available to Pennsylvanians over the age of 60 to enable them to continue to live in their homes and communities with support services.
To be eligible for the Aging Waiver, you must:
- Be a resident of Pennsylvania
- Be a U.S. citizen or a qualified Non-citizen
- Have a Social Security Number
- Be 60 years of age or older
- Meet the required level of care for a Skilled Nursing Facility
- Meet the financial requirements as determined by your local County Assistance Office
The following lists the services available through the Aging Waiver program that may be available to you:
- Adult Daily Living Services
- Community Transition Services
- Companion Services
- Counseling Services
- Environmental Modifications
- Financial Management Services
- Home Delivered Meals
- Home Health Services
- Home Support Services
- Non-Medical Transportation Services
- Participant-Directed Goods and Services
- Participant-Directed Community Supports
- Personal Emergency Response Units
- Personal Assistance Services
- Personal Care Services
- Respite Services
- Specialized Medical Equipment and Supplies
There is no cap on the services that Aging Waiver participants receive, no cost sharing, and no contributions allowed. In order to qualify for Aging Waiver services, you must meet eligibility requirements. This includes a level of care assessment and a determination of financial eligibility.